Friday, May 7, 2010

The Dishes Can Wait

Lately Eli has been especially clingy and in need of my attention. I have found myself getting frustrated with his constant need to be near me as I think about all of the things that need to be done around the house. I'm embarrassingly behind on so many projects, and I can't seem to find the time to get them done. I feel like there are not enough hours in the day to accomplish everything. If he didn't need me so much, maybe I'd get more done.

But then I look into the big hazel eyes of that sweet boy and realize that I don't want to miss a single second. I always thought that people were exaggerating when they said that kids grow up too fast. Surely that wasn't true. I see the truth in that statement now. The past 16 months have gone by faster than I ever imagined. My tiny baby boy is a busy, smart, inquisitive toddler. He loves testing his independence, but he still needs his mama very much.

I may never catch up around the house. The overgrown flower bed in the front yard may never be tilled and replanted. As much as part of me wants to do those things, a much larger part of me realizes that my baby may not always want me to cuddle with him and play games and read stories. He'll grow up and won't need me (or at least he'll think he won't - we've all learned that lesson, haven't we?). I want to cherish these moments. So what if the dishes sit in the sink a little longer? Throwing a ball, reading a story, or just giving a hug are far more important. It is also moments like this when I say an extra prayer for babies who want nothing more than to have a mama to hold them and for mommies who are waiting on Heaven to hold their precious babies.

Now I hear a sweet voice chattering away in his room, just waking up from a nap. It's time to play!

4 comments:

  1. this was such a sweet post! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel. I struggle with this every day. Caden wants to be by my side or on my lap pretty much every minute of the day. It gets so frustrating sometimes when it feels like I can get NOTHING done, but then I remind myself how soon it will be before these days are gone. I don't want to regret not taking the extra time to just be there for him when he really wants and needs me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Cherish the moments, soon you'll be apart...cling to the memories, clasp them in your heart...soon comes the day when you'll have no child to hold, so cherish, cherish the moments..' Ron Hamilton

    Loved this post...thank you. I hope you'll continue to blog.
    Take extra good care,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! You never can catch up, and you know what, I was waaaay more worriedi about that type of stuff before Libby came along. I don't know what it is about baby number two, but you'll find yourself relaxing more and looking at things in a different way. I think that part of it is having two times the demands placed upon you by your kiddos, so you literally cannot keep up with other responsbilities as well as before (which shift anyhow, so it's okay).

    But, it's also watching two darlings who you love with all of your heart playing together and being together, and it makes you stop and inhale more deeply, pray out of your heart instead of your mind, and smile more. Smiling more does so much for the soul. You're on a great journey, Melissa, and I just read somewhere today (I think in my latest novel that I'm reading) that the whole point is keeping your eyes fixed on a place in the distance and then walking backwards from it. Not towards. Always enjoy where you're going to end up. No need to ever even make it there. The journey is worth it all. :o)

    ReplyDelete