Thursday, March 19, 2009

Waiting Game

Do you ever get the feeling that something big is just over the horizon? It's the feeling that something in your life is about to change dramatically, leaving you anxious, nervous and excited at the time. The last time I felt like that was shortly before I found out I was pregnant. I have felt that way again recently. I thought it would go away with Rob's promotion, and while it is not as intense the feeling is still there.

I became excited recently about the idea of pursuing missionary work. Looking back now, I would say that I was too excited. I have a bad habit of latching on to an idea and making plans before waiting to find out if it is from God. Even good ideas are not always God's ideas. It became apparent to me that such a door has not been opened, and we are to continue to support those who have gone already. We get a lot of joy from doing that, and will continue to do so. While that door may not be open, I still can't shake the feeling that something in our lives is going to change soon. All I can do now is wait and pray. I can pray that God will prepare us for whatever it is that He has planned, whether it be big or small. I can pray that our eyes will be open and we will be aware and sensitive to God's leading.

Herein lies the problem with waiting - I am an extremely impatient person. I like making plans. I NEED to make plans. I know...if you want to hear God laugh...I'm quite familiar with that! That is why I am so thankful for scripture that reminds me to wait on God and the perfect timing of His plans.

"Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." - Psalm 27:14

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps" - Proverbs 16:9

"This is what the LORD says - your Redeemer, the Holy one of Israel, 'I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.'" - Isaiah 48:17

We will not be misguided if we trust in the Lord's plan for our lives. I have seen this in my own life and have been immensely blessed by it (by the time Rob and I decided that we would allow the Lord to determine the timing of when we would have children, I was already pregnant). Waiting can be frustrating and uncomfortable. I am too often tempted to try to make and execute my own plans. However, waiting on the Lord will bring far greater blessing and joy than anything I could plan on my own. That "something is going to happen" feeling may not go away, but I am learning to be content with patiently waiting for God to reveal that something in His time.

5 comments:

  1. I am extremely impulsive and impatient, in regards to many things in my life, and it's very easy to say "I'm going to wait on the Lord to take care of ____" or to say "in God's time it will happen," but often after saying or thinking those things I find myself trying to take over, only to be disappointed with my results. Yet I find that when I do wait on God and listen to Him, I'm always content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed this today. Thanks for the great reminder of what it means to wait upon the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely relate, mama! I'm super duper impatient. I tend to jump into things without heeding God's call, and then I'm convicted on not only my impatience but flakiness. That's what feels the worst. (Is that even a word? LOL)

    I can't wait to see what God has in store for you!! Something awesome no doubt! When I was at Penn State for elementary education, a professor once told us that to learn you had to be made "slightly uncomfortable" or else you'd never venture to change your current thinking. That's been so true in my life. I can look back now to times of discomfort and restlessness and those were the beginnings of big changes - always positive for His glory. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, THAT feeling...yes I know THAT feeling. I too had that before I found out about D. I also had that feeling before I met Daniel...and waiting I think is the hardest thing you will ever do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was convicted about this very thing a week ago. A friend of mine had her baby boy this morning (!!!) and will be leaving for Bulgaria with Wycliff in a few weeks. We talked about what she would need to help her have a hospitable home once she's overseas, and I realized that I wasn't doing the very things we mentioned. Andrea and I are both called to share our faith. She (and hubby) are going to Bulgaria, I am in Texas. My being stateside doesn't make God's command to "go (seek others out) and tell the good news" any less. So, what are you doing to reach out to those who don't know God's grace, in the place God has you now?

    ReplyDelete